Many people have been asking what to do with the some of the cuts of meat. So we have done some work through the internet, added some of our own favourites and below is a list of suggested recipes for mince, sausages and casseroles.
Caroline has been purchasing our beef and you can find many good recipes on her blog spot - www.ceridwynscauldron.blogspot.com
New Zealand Beef and Lamb also has a great website with different recipes to try -http://www.recipes.co.nz/cooking-methods/roast
Mum’s Mince Curry
500g minced beef
1 onion 1 Tbsp oil
1 tbsp golden syrup 1 apple (grated)
3 Tbsp curry powder ½ cp sultanas
3 Tbsp flour ½ cp water
Salt/pepper banana (optional)
- Brown the mince, add the onion and golden syrup, simmer for few minutes and then add the grated apple, seasonings and sultanas.
- Simmer for approximately 30 minutes to allow the flavours to cook through the meat.
Mix the flour to a thin paste with the water and add slowly to the mince until sauce thickens.
- Serve on boiled rice with a scattering of sliced banana.
Spicy Beef Sticks
500g beef mince 1 small onion finely chopped
1 tspn oregano ½ tspn cumin
½ tspn chilli powder 1 tbsp minced ginger
1tbsp minced garlic 1tbsp smooth peanut butter
Dash soy sauce
- Mix ingredients together and divide into 10 portions.
- Form each portion into a sausage shape and push a skewer through the meat. Press the meat firmly onto the skewer.
- Grill or barbeque, turning frequently until meat is cooked through.
- Serve with Satay sauce or sweet chilli sauce to dip.
Super Easy Kids Beef Casserole
500g diced casserole steak (blade/chuck/flank)
1 450g tin chopped tomatoes
1 450g tin baked beans
2 tspn mixed herbs
- Brown meat in a hot pan and add to casserole dish or slow cooker.
- Add chopped tomatoes and baked beans. Season with mixed herbs.
- Cook slowly for 2 hrs or in accordance with slow cooker instructions.
Beef & Peppercorn Stew
1 kg casserole steak (chuck/blade/xcut blade) cubed 2 tspns cracked black peppercorns
2 Tbsps oil 1 sliced onion
2 cloves garlic (sliced) 1 ½ Tbsps flour
2 Tbsp brandy 3 cps beef stock
1 Tbsp Worchester sauce 1 Tbsp grainy mustard
500g small potatoes 2 Tbspn chopped parsley
¼ cp cream or lite evaporated milk (lower fat option)
- Toss the steak in the peppercorns to coat. Heat the oil in a pan and brown the steak (best done in two batches). Remove meat from heat.
- Add onion and garlic to the pan and cook while stirring, until onion is golden. Add the flour and stir until combined.
- Combine brandy, stock, Worchester sauce and mustard and slowly stir into onion mix.
- Transfer browned steak, onion & sauce mix to a covered casserole dish and place into low oven to simmer for 1 ¼ hrs.
- Add the potatoes and simmer for a further 30min until potatoes are cooked through.
- Before serving, stir in the cream and parsley and season to taste with salt & pepper.
Slow Cooker Beef
1KG stewing beef, cubed Seasoned flour
2 large carrots chopped into chunks 2 large onions chopped into chunks
2 medium potatoes chopped 1 carton of beef stock
1 cp red wine 1 tbsp of Worcester Sauce
2 tspns tabasco 1 tspn Vegemite
1 can of chopped tomatoes
1. Dust the chunks of beef in the seasoned flour
2. Put the beef in the slow cooker
3. Put everything else in the slow cooker and stir round. If you need more liquid to cover everything, add water
4. Switch slow cooker on and go to work
Gingered Asian Beef & Vegetables
400g beef schnitzel or thin sliced rump steak 1 tsp dry sherry or rice wine
1Tbsp soy sauce 1 tsp grated ginger
2 tsp oil
Vegetables & Sauce:
2 bunches broccoli, beans and peppers, sliced 1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp grated ginger 1 tsp grated garlic
2 tsp brown sugar or honey ½ cp beef stock
2 tsp cornflour to thicken.
- Mix marinade ingredients with meat & set aside for at least 30 minutes, preferably 1-2 hrs.
- Heat oil in a wok & quickly stir-fry batches of meat until browned . Then add vegetables and stir –fry until lightly cooked.
- Add the sauce ingredients into the wok & heat through. Thicken the sauce as desired by adding a thin paste of cornflour and water. Heat until sauce thickens.
Sausages and Beer
Oil spray, 600gms Sausages
1 lg onion finely chopped, 2 med. carrots diced 1cm
2 cloves garlic crushed 1/4 Cp tomato paste
1 can beer 330ml, 3/4tsp dried chilli flakes
1 1/2C peas thaw if frozen 1/4Cp chopped parsley.
- Pre-heat cooker for 20 minutes. Heat a frypan to med -high heat spray with oil & cook sausages until golden brown. Remove from pan & slice each sausage into 4 pieces. Place in cooker.
- Reduce the frypan to medium, add onion, carrot & garlic & saute until the onion is softened. Add the tomato paste, beer & chilli to the frypan, mix well and simmerl.
- Tip contents of the frypan into the cooker, stir, cover with lid and set slow cooker on Low 5-6 hrs or High 3hrs.
- 30 minutes prior to serving, add peas, stir to combine, cover with lid & continue cooking for the final 30 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.
Beef in Red Wine
12 Pickling onions 12 button mushrooms
2 Tbsn tomato paste 2 Tbsp flour
2 rashers bacon 1 Cp red wine
2 Tbsp oil 500g cubed casserole steak
Salt/pepper Mixed herbs
- Peel onions and leave whole. Wash and trim mushrooms. Remove rind from bacon and chop.
- Heat oil in a pan and brown mushrooms, onions and bacon.
- Season the steak with salt & pepper and brown in pan. Transfer vegetables and meat to a casserole dish.
- Add the tomato paste, red wine, and mixed herbs to the pan juices and and simmer until well flavoured.
- Pour sauce over vegetables and meat in casserole. Cook for 1-1 ½ in oven at 180.
Moroccan Beef with Olives
500g minced beef 2 cps beef stock
1 tsp minced ginger 1 tsp turmeric
½ tsp minced garlic 1 Tbsp flour
1 egg ¼ cp lemon juice
2 Tbsp oil ¼ cp chopped olives
2 onions fresh coriander to garnish
- Mix mince, ginger, garlic and egg. Roll into small meatballs. Cook until browned in pan, then transfer to casserole dish.
- Slice and cook onions until browned.
- Add turmeric to the beef stock and heat to combine.
- Add flour to the onions and cook through, slowly adding beef stock , lemon juice and olives. Bring to the boil and once sauce starts to thicken, transfer to the casserole dish.
- Cook casserole at 180 dg for about 45 minutes. Serve with couscous and vegetables.
Mediterranean Beef & Bean Soup
250g beef mince ¼ cp olive oil
1 450g kidney beans (or mixed beans) 10 cps water
3 cloved chopped garlic 2 diced onions
2 carrots chopped 1 450g can chopped tomato & juice
Dash salt & pepper ½ cp chopped parsley
2 bay leaves 2 tsp oregano
- Briefly brown the mince in a large soup pot with the olive oil and onions.
- Add beans, garlic, bay leaves, oregano and tomato. Simmer for 5-10 minutes on low heat.
- Add the water to achieve soup consistency & season with salt and pepper to taste. Add most of the parsley and allow the soup to simmer on low for 40-60 minutes to absorb flavours. Tomato flavour may be intensified by adding a tablespoon of brown sugar to mix. Flavour is best if soup is left to cool and stand for a couple of hours and reheated prior to serving.
- Adjust seasoning, remove bay leaves and garnish with remaining chopped parsley to serve.
Nana’s Swiss Steak
500g cross-cut blade steak ¼ cp flour
2-3 Tbsp oil 1 large onion, sliced
½ tsp salt 2 tsp sugar
1 cp tomato paste ½ cp water
- Coat the steaks in the flour and pound with a kitchen mallet until flour absorbs
- Brown prepared steaks evenly in oil and transfer to a baking dish/casserole.
- Brown sliced onions in a pan with a spinkling of salt & sugar, and then transfer to casserole.
- Pour tomato paste & water over layered meat & onions. Cover dish with a tight fitting lid and bake at 180dg until tender.
Sweet & Sour
8-12 beef sausages 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
½ cp tomato paste 1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 chopped onion ½ sliced apple
1 chopped large carrot 1 Tbsp mustard
1/2 tspn curry powder 1 Tbsp malt vinegar
1 Tbsp honey
- Brown sausages in an electric frypan or similar. Remove from heat and chop sausages into large slices, return to heat. Add onions and sliced apple to pan and brown.
- Mix tomatoes and seasoning ingredients together and pour over sausages. Add carrots.
- Turn heat to low , cover pan and allow to simmer until sauce thickens and carrots are cooked.
Quick & Easy Kids Casserole
8-12 beef sausages 1 450g tin chopped tomatoes
1 small tin pineapple Dash soy sauce
1 cp mixed frozen diced vegetables Salt & pepper to taste.
- Brown sausages in an electric frypan or similar. Remove from heat and chop sausages into large slices, return to heat.
- Mix tomatoes, pineapple and seasoning ingredients together and pour over sausages. Add mixed vegetables.
- Turn heat to low , cover pan and allow to simmer until sauce thickens and vegetables are cooked.